Free PCR Test in Tokyo for Residents
Details of Free PCR Tests in Tokyo for Residents
Did you know that Tokyo residents can get tested for COVID free of charge for a limited time?
The Tokyo metropolitan government made an announcement regarding this measure that is taking place in various PCR testing sites and drug stores across Tokyo. Although this measure will take place for a limited time, this is meant to help people who are concerned about having COVID.
In this article, I will explain the details of this new measure taking place in Tokyo. If you’re planning on taking this test, be sure to check the details beforehand.
The Tokyo metropolitan government announced a temporary measurement to enable Tokyo residents to take COVID tests for free. This measure was taken due to the appearance of the Omicron variant in Japan a few days ago.
According to the announcement, this free testing measure started on December 25, and will take place until the end of January of 2022.
The test that will be available are the following.
- Nucleic acid amplification tests (PCR, LAMP)
- Rapid antigen tests (qualitative antigen test)
For the PCR test, results will be ready either on the test day or the day afterwards. And in the case of the rapid antigen test, results will be ready in 10 to 20 minutes.
*NOTE: This test does not include a diagnose of a doctor. This means this test will not be valid for overseas traveling purposes.
2. Who is eligible for this free PCR test?
There are two groups of people who are eligible for this measure.
- Children under 12 years of age without symptoms who need either a vaccination certificate or PCR test certificate (for attending a meal, event, trip, etc.).
- People without symptoms who need either a vaccination certificate or PCR test certificate (for attending a meal, event, trip, etc.) but can’t due to health risks.
- Tokyo residents without symptoms (e.g: people who want to visit an elderly relative but want to be sure that they’re not infected or people who want to get tested just for the peace of their heart).
3. Where can you get this free PCR test?
As of December 28, this is the list of the PCR testing sites and drug stores where you can get this free test.
- Kinoshita Group’s coronavirus PCR center’s: Akihabara branch/ Shinbashi branch/ Hamamatsucho branch/ Shinjuku branch/ Shibuya branch/ Ikebukuro(east exit) branch/ Haneda Airport 1st terminal branch/ Haneda Airport 2nd terminal branch/ Kichijoji branch.
- J-VPD Tokyo Laboratory
- Picapaca PCR Quick test center: Shibuya branch/ Shinjuku branch/ Ikebukuro branch/ Shinbashi branch.
- MSJ PCR test: Hachioji branch/ Tachikawa branch.
- Welcia drug stores: 160 branches across Tokyo
- Clinic For: Iidabashi branch/ Shinbashi branch/ Tamachi branch/ Yurakucho branch, Otemachi branch.
*NOTE: Depending on the site, it is possible that there are too many people in line, and may not be able to attend you without a booking.
4. When can you get this free PCR test?
As I mentioned before, this measure for free PCR test is for a limited time only. The schedule is different depending on which group you belong to in the “Who is eligible for this free PCR test?” section above.
December 23, 2021 – March 31, 2022.
December 25, 2021 – January 31, 2022.
5. How can you get this free PCR test?
Finally, what do you need to do in order to take this free COVID test? It is very simple.
1. Head to one of the designated facilities with your ID. The ID that you present needs to include your personal information as well as your current address (driver’s license, My number card, Student ID, Zairyu card, etc.).
2. Once you get to the facility, show your ID at the counter and fill out the application form.
3. Take the test.
4. Test result notice will be issued. In the case that you take the PCR test, it is possible that this notice will be ready on the day after you take the test.
The validity of the test result notice is different depending on the test type. If you take the PCR test, the validity is of 3 days(counting from the day you take the test). If you take the Antigen test, the validity is up to the day after you take the test.
*NOTE: In the case that your test result is “Possibly Positive”, you will need to get diagnosed at a medical institution.
I hope this article was helpful for you.
If you just want to take the test for the peace of your heart, especially in times where the Omicron variant is out there, then this may be a good opportunity for you to take this free test.
Just so you know, you can take this free PCR test at our affiliated clinic, Clinic Nearme. If you are eligible for taking this free test, you can check the details in the following link.
Let me remind you again that this test does not include a diagnose of a doctor, which means this test will not be valid for overseas traveling purposes.
In the case that you’re looking for a clinic where you can get tested and get a PCR negative certificate that’s valid for overseas traveling, then check out the regular Clinic Nearme website here.
Check out the following for the latest in entry restrictions due to COVID.